Stroke Program Initiative
Monterey Peninsula Stroke-Related Events
- Stroke is the fourth leading cause of death and the leading cause of serious, long-term disability in the nation.
- Moreover, one in four people who recover from their first stroke will have another one within just five years. 25% of women and 42% of men will have another stroke within 5 years
- In 2011, Community Hospital treated 96% of patients from the Monterey Peninsula (primary service area) and 41% of all the strokes in Monterey County. Every 40 seconds, someone in America has a stroke and every four minutes, someone dies of stroke.
- 34% of people suffering from a stroke are under the age of 65 years.
- Over 90% of people recognize sudden numbness on one side as a symptom of stroke. Only 38% were aware of all major symptoms and knew to call 9-1-1 when someone was having a stroke.
- Early Action is the key to good recovery. Patients who arrive at the emergency room within three hours of their first symptoms tend to be healthier three months after a stroke than those whose care was delayed.
- Education is imperative to decrease the number of stroke victims in our community. Individuals should know their risk factors for stroke.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/National Center for Health Statistics
- Community Hospital has launched an initiative to improve stroke care and increase public awareness of risk factors, signs and symptoms, and steps to take in the event of a stroke emergency.
- We are pleased to report that Community Hospital has achieved accreditation by The Joint Commission as a Primary Stroke Center. Hospitals certified as stroke centers by The Joint Commission offer teams with specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of all types of strokes.
- While accreditation is a milestone for the hospital, our stroke program still has much to achieve in terms of public education and community awareness.
Find out more about our Stroke Program.
The more people know, the more lives can be saved.
The life you save through support of educational programming of Community Hospital could be your own. Educational programs are not funded by insurance companies.