Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit
Community Hospital’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit provides multidisciplinary rehabilitation services to individuals who have suffered an acute illness, injury, or accident resulting in significant functional decline.
Our physician-led physical medicine and rehabilitation team is dedicated to providing personalized and patient-focused care. We help you through your recovery with the goal of achieving maximal functional independence.
Your team and you
The most important member of your team is you.
Many others, however, will be instrumental in your care.
The IRU rehab team consists of the following roles:
- Physiatrist — a board-certified doctor in physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Rehabilitation nurse — assists in managing complex medical and rehabilitation care, while focusing on teaching self-care follow-through and guiding you and your family through your recovery process
- Physical therapist — helps you regain strength, balance, and coordination to restore mobility
- Occupational therapist — teaches you new ways to perform daily activities such as grooming, bathing, and dressing
- Speech language therapist — helps you regain speaking and swallowing functions and cognitive abilities
- Social worker — helps patients and families adjust and cope with new disabilities, and assists in coordinating your discharge process
- Clinical dietitian — oversees your nutritional needs, working with other team members to ensure your diet is appropriate for your rehabilitation and medical needs
Your other team — your family
Your family is your major support system. We include them in treatment, education, and planning throughout your stay.
To find out if you or someone you know can benefit from our program, call us at (831) 625-4757.
- At least 18 years of age
- Medically stable
- Requires medical monitoring and 24-hour-per-day nursing care
- Requires at least two therapy disciplines
- Has potential to tolerate 3 hours of therapy each day
- Has potential to improve function or achieve independence
- Willing and able to participate in therapy program
Who we treat
The IRU is here for those who have suffered a loss of function or an impairment due to:
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Degenerative neurological disorders such as
Parkinson’s disease or multiple sclerosis
- Major multiple trauma
- Polyarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis
- Orthopedic injury (fractured hip or femur)
- Other condition that has resulted in a loss
of independence and mobility
Your stay in the IRU
View photos of our brand new facility that will accommodate your healing.
View photos of the IRU.