To-do list on the day of outpatient surgery
For patients 3 years and older
To ensure your safety and comfort, please follow these instructions:
- Do not eat (including mints and hard candy) or chew gum after midnight or your surgery may be cancelled.
- If your surgery is scheduled before 1 p.m., you may have water only from midnight up to four hours before surgery.
- If your surgery is scheduled after 1 p.m., you may have clear liquids until 7:30 a.m. that morning and water only from 7:30 a.m. up to four hours before surgery.
- You will be instructed on what medications to take the day of surgery.
- Bathe or shower before coming to the hospital. Wash your hair. Do not apply lotion, deodorant, powder, or makeup afterward.
- For most types of surgery, you will be asked to wipe your entire body with antibacterial wipes.
- Wear comfortable, clean, loose-fitting clothing and low-heeled shoes. You may bring a robe and other personal items if staying overnight.
- Remove contact lenses and wear glasses.
- Leave all valuables, medications, and jewelry at home. If you plan to pick up medication(s) on your way home, bring a method of payment.
- If you use CPAP or BiPAP for sleep apnea, please bring your machine with you.
- Unless you have been instructed otherwise, check in first at the registration desk near the gift shop (see map) before reporting to the Outpatient Surgery Center. Bring photo ID and your insurance cards. If you have an insurance deductible, we request payment at time of registration. For information regarding your deductible, please contact your insurance company.
It is very important to contact both your doctor and the hospital staff as early as possible if you decide to postpone the surgery or you become ill.