Do you get short of breath during activities? Are you worried about your cough and respiratory infections? Do you feel your lung problem controls your life? Are you concerned about your shortness of breath?
You can find the training and support you need through Community Hospital's Pulmonary Wellness Program.
Research has shown there is effective treatment available for:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic asthma
- Cystic fibrosis
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pre/Post lung reduction or lung transplant surgery
The Pulmonary Wellness Program can help you:
- Manage and improve symptoms of respiratory limitations
- Achieve top functional potential
- Increase activity and decrease anxiety
The pulmonary wellness team includes:
- Respiratory therapist
- Registered nurse
- Clinical exercise physiologist
- Medical director
A comprehensive assessment by the pulmonary wellness team will provide the basis for an individualized treatment plan that takes into account your medical history, functional capacity, symptoms, and personal goals. The medical director will perform a brief assessment to review your clinical status and answer questions.
Each participant will receive an individualized treatment plan that will include a combination of the following:
- Understanding Chronic Lung Disease
- Your Medications: Why and How?
- Oxygen Therapy: What You Need to Know
- Breathing Retraining
- Energy Conservation Techniques
- Cough and Infection
- Travel Guidelines
- Practical Stress-Reduction Techniques
- Exercise Principles and Lung Disease
- Chronic Lung Disease and Your Emotions
- Nutrition and Lung Disease
Exercise and skills training
- Monitored (heart rate and oxygen saturation) exercise training
- Personal exercise program including training intensity, time, type, and frequency
- Cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility exercise instruction
- Upper extremity strengthening exercise
- Guidelines and conditioning for a home exercise plan
- Training in inhaler techniques, breathing retraining, and bronchial hygiene
Smoking Cessation video series
Smoking Cessation Series 1
Ida Corby, a respiratory therapist at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula discusses tobacco dependency and nicotine.
Smoking Cessation Series 2
Ida Corby, a respiratory therapist at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula discusses what smoking does to your heart and how you can harm those around you with second-hand smoke.
Smoking Cessation Series 3
Ida Corby, a respiratory therapist at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula discusses medications versus going cold turkey when thinking about quitting smoking.
Quit smoking: Cathleen’s success story
Cathleen McChesney was a closet smoker. Find out how she quit, with help from Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula's Kick the Nic program.