View our 75th Anniversary video.
This is a tale of tractors, trees, two brothers, and a man named Tom Tonkin. An epic filled with generosity and vision, and an unparalleled sense of community...
1929 - Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula gets its unofficial start when a woman named Grace Deere Velie Harris - one of four heirs to the Deere tractor fortune - gives an endowment to create a Carmel clinic specializing in metabolic disorders.
1934 - On October 19, Grace Deere Velie Harris' Carmel clinic is converted into a 30-bed general community hospital named Peninsula Community Hospital.
1950s - The paths of Samuel F.B. Morse and Tom Tonkin cross in most fortuitous fashion. In 1955, Peninsula Community Hospital hires Tonkin as the administrator. In 1919, Morse had created Del Monte Properties Company. Perhaps it was inevitable that Morse now decides to donate 22 prime, pine-tree-filled acres in the Del Monte forest as a hospital building site.
1961 - On March 29, "Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula" is officially adopted as the name of the hospital.
1962 - On June 28, Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula opens on Holman Highway. The 100-bed, 210,000-square-foot facility - the first community hospital in the country to offer all private rooms - costs $3.5 million. Two-thirds of those funds come from community donations. The hospital, designed by world-renowned architect Edward Durell Stone, is honored with state and national awards for excellence in architecture.
1971 - The distinctive dome over the Fountain Court is added, as are 72 additional rooms, including a mental health center. Half of the $4 million project is funded by community contributions.
1981 - On December 29, Community Hospital Foundation is created as the parent/holding company for the hospital and related subsidiaries.
1982 - The former Eskaton Monterey Hospital - opened in 1930 by brothers Hugh and Horace Dormody in downtown Monterey - becomes part of Community Hospital. Later, it is converted into a chemical dependency treatment center.
1983 - A 42,000-square-foot addition to Community Hospital's main building opens. The new space houses outpatient, educational, and business office functions.
1988 - The Outpatient Surgery Center opens. It now handles more than half of all surgeries at Community Hospital.
1991 - The Rehabilitation Services department at Community Hospital is expanded.
1996 - The Family Birth Center opens at Community Hospital, bringing single-room maternity care to local families.
Community Hospital acquires a local home health agency.
1997 - The remodeled downtown Monterey facility (formerly Eskaton Monterey Hospital) reopens as the Hartnell Professional Center, housing outpatient mental health services, the Recovery Center and its Clint Eastwood Youth Program, the Cardiopulmonary Wellness Program and diagnostics, the Blood Center, a satellite laboratory, and X-ray facility.
In November, ground is broken for Community Hospital's new Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Community Hospital acquires a second local home health agency, a skilled nursing facility at Hospice House in Monterey, and Hospice of the Central Coast.
1999 - The Comprehensive Cancer Center opens at Community Hospital, providing state-of-the-art diagnosis, treatment, and support for cancer patients and their families.
2002 - On March 4, Community Hospital's new Breast Care Center begins operating on Cass Street in Monterey. The center offers comprehensive breast care services - everything from mammograms to biopsies - as well as screenings for osteoporosis.
2003 - Completed in June, a three-story underground parking garage, with 316 parking spaces, is built under the hospital's main entrance, improving parking for patients and visitors.
2004 - Site preparation begins for the Forest Pavilion, which will add 120 new patient rooms, and the South Pavilion, which will add 135,000 square feet and centralize critical-care departments and related services.
2004 - The Ryan Ranch Outpatient Campus opened in July. This expansive, centrally located facility houses our Sleep Disorders Center, Diabetes & Nutrition Therapy programs, the Community Imaging Center, a satellite lab, the Community Health and Hospice Resource Center, doctor's offices, and administrative offices for the hospital's hospice programs.
2006 - The opening of the South Pavilion in October 2006 greatly expanded our facilities, including a new, advanced Emergency Department, eight new operating suites, and a state-of-the-art ICU.
2007 - Forest Pavilion opens, adding 120 spacious patient rooms, each with a private bathroom and shower, comfortable daybeds for family or visitors who wish to spend the night, and views of the surrounding pine forest or waterfall and Healing Garden.
2007 - The Tyler Heart Institute is founded and open-heart surgeries are offered at Community Hospital for the first time, under the leadership of nationally renowned cardiac surgeon Dr. Vincent Gaudiani. The Tyler Heart Institute, named for Monterey Peninsula residents William and Susanne Tyler, includes the full range of cardiac services - education, wellness, diagnostic, treatment, and rehabilitation services - as well as the cardiac catheterization lab.
2008 - With input from doctors, employees, volunteers, patients, board members, and community residents, Community Hospital adopts a strategic plan to further its commitment to high-quality, cost-effective patient care. Read the plan.
2009 - Renovations bring an expanded radiology department, two new cardiac cath labs, a new meditation room, and other advancements and improvements.
The Joint Commission, the nation's leading healthcare accreditation organization, accredits Community Hospital as a certified stroke center.
The Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons awards the Comprehensive Cancer Center an Outstanding Achievement Award for its scope of cancer care.
On October 1, 2009, the first Peninsula Primary Care office in Carmel opened.
2010 - Plans for Peninsula Wellness Center are announced. Fitness and medical expertise will combine in the 34,000-square-foot center in Marina, opening in spring 2011.
2011 - Community Hospital's Marina campus opens, including Peninsula Wellness Center, the second location of Peninsula Primary Care, Cardiopulmonary Wellness, outpatient Rehabilitation Services, lab and X-ray services, and Monterey Bay Urgent Care.
The Breast Care Center is renamed the Carol Hatton Breast Care Center, honoring the late Carol Hatton, who led fundraising efforts for new technology and to pay for advanced diagnostics for women who can't afford them.
The Comprehensive Cancer Center receives its second Outstanding Achievement Award from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons for its scope of cancer care.
2012 - Community Hospital is awarded advanced certification for inpatient diabetes care by the Joint Commission.
The Carol Hatton Breast Care Center celebrates its 10th anniversary and Tyler Heart Institute turns 5.