Automated External Defibrillator (AED) program
The THI AED Program is committed to strengthening our community’s response to a cardiac emergency.
During cardiac arrest, every second counts. If a defibrillator can be used -- ideally within about three minutes -- the victim has a 50-to-70-percent chance of survival. National statistics indicate that 80 percent of all cardiac arrests occur outside the hospital, and only 5 percent of those individuals survive, simply because they could not get help soon enough. That’s why Community Hospital launched a program in 2003 to make easy-to-operate defibrillators available throughout the area. The Tyler Heart Institute Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Program has expanded to include training and community events to increase awareness on how to respond to a cardiac emergency.
- AED installation and program
- Purchase, enroll or apply for a grant for an AED. The program is provided at no cost to non-profit organizations and is a great step in making your school, church, organization a heart-safe place.
- AED in-service to learn how to use an AED. Training options:
- 60-minute hands-on AED training and hands-only CPR. You will learn what an AED is when it should be used, who can use it and how to use it. You will have the opportunity to use an AED trainer and “save” a life.
- Lunch and Learn events to educate your employees on AED use and hands-only CPR.
- AED Drills to practice your skills and help assess your preparedness for a cardiac emergency.
- CPR certification course
- This course will teach you to recognize cardiac arrest, get emergency care on the way quickly, and help a person until more advanced care arrives to take over.
- AHA HeartSaver class offered through Community Hospital.
- Worksite Wellness
- Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula also provides worksite wellness services. They can identify and address your employees health risks before they result in costly healthcare claims and build a healthier, more productive workforce. More information.
For the community
- THI AED loaner program
- AED’s are available to loan out for community events at no cost.
- Examples include the Monterey Jazz Festival, Big Sur Marathon, Run in the Name of Love and the Weather Tech Raceway.
- AED and hands-only CPR demo
- Booth at large community events that offer a chance for people to use an AED trainer and practice hands-only CPR.
- Contact us for more information or to get a booth at your event.
Join us in making our community a heart-safe place!