Childbirth at the Family Birth Center
The birth of your baby is one of the most exciting events in your life, and we want to make it special and joyful. Community Hospital is Monterey County’s trusted leader in childbirth for nearly 85 years.
Family Birth Center features
The Family Birth Center, our maternity area, has 13 rooms equipped for labor, delivery, recovery, and mother-baby care. With everything in one place, you and your support person can stay in your room before, during, and after your delivery. You and your loved ones will enjoy a calm and therapeutic environment - we’ve been named one of the most beautiful hospitals in the world.
Features and amenities
- Spacious, private rooms, each with its own bathroom and shower, and TV
- Mobile fetal monitoring, so you can walk, shower, and move around during your labor - we encourage it!
- High-speed Wi-Fi internet access
- A daybed, so your spouse or support person can stay with you
- Excellent food from our chef and the Fountain Court Café (try the milkshakes!)
- Comfortable family waiting area with easy access to the cafe, parking, gift shop, and additional hospital amenities
- Birthing support items such as peanut balls, birthing stool, and squat bar
- Experienced nurses, to work with you and your doctor to help achieve the birth experience you hope to have
- Un-medicated births welcomed and supported
- Breastfeeding classes and guidance
- Safe, pasteurized donor milk if you are unable to breastfeed
- An intermediate intensive care nursery and a neonatologist, for premature or seriously ill babies
- We're BABY FRIENDLY™: This is a special designation from UNICEF and the World Health Organization that means we have adopted practices that offer mothers help and information to gain the skills and confidence for successful breastfeeding.
Tours and classes
Tour the Family Birth Center
Birth and parenting occur with greater ease, comfort, and joy when parents know what to expect. To help you get to know us, we offer a free tour and orientation of the Family Birth Center, led by an experienced labor and delivery nurse.
Schedule a tour now
Breastfeeding success classes
Learn how to get breastfeeding off to a good start for you and your baby. Join nurse educators and other expectant mothers to learn about prenatal preparation, nutrition, problem prevention, and strategies for success.
View available classes
Childbirth Education Class - 2 Week Program
This course introduces the birthing person and their support person(s) to labor, birth and current evidenced-based practices surrounding them.
View available classes Digital library
Childbirth Education Class - 4 Week Program
These small-size classes are taught by a Lamaze-trained labor and delivery registered nurse. Ideal for women in the second or the early part of the third trimester.
View available classes
Lactation support services
For lactation support service, call (831) 625-4987
"Our visit was unforgettable because we welcomed our first child into the world. We couldn’t have imagined a better, safer, more professional experience. Thank you!"
- A new mom
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Do you like your patients to have birth plans?
A. We encourage moms to communicate their birth preferences, to address many of the common questions and issues that arise. We will work hard to meet your needs and wishes. Knowing that things don’t always go according to plan, we appreciate your flexibility when it comes to your and your baby’s safety.
Q. Do you allow moms to walk around during labor?
A. Yes! We encourage moms to walk around, and even have mobile, waterproof monitoring to make it easy and safe. If you would like to take a shower during labor, we can help you do so in your private bathroom.
Q. Do you require patients to have epidurals or other pain medication?
A. We support both non-medicated and medicated births. If you do need or want pain medication, we will safely provide it.
Q. Do you allow doulas in the birth center?
A. Yes, doulas and labor coaches can have a positive impact on the well-being of the whole family. Your nurses and doctor will focus on the health of mother and baby and any necessary diagnosis or treatment decisions.
Q. Do you have breastfeeding support?
A. Yes. we are officially a Baby-Friendly® hospital, a designation by UNICEF and the World Health Organization, earned through our commitment to successful breastfeeding. We offer a free class and have experienced lactation consultants on our staff. If you are unable to breastfeed or to meet your baby’s needs, we have safe, pasteurized breast milk available.
Education is key to help you through your pregnancy and delivery and after the birth of your baby. We encourage you to review these easy-to-use sections: