Do you get short of breath during activities? Are you worried about your cough and respiratory infections? Do you feel your lung problem controls your life? Are you concerned about your shortness of breath?
You can find the training and support you need through Community Hospital's Pulmonary Wellness Program.
The Pulmonary Wellness Program can help you:
- Manage and improve symptoms of respiratory limitations
- Achieve top functional potential
- Increase activity and decrease anxiety
What we do
Research has shown there is effective treatment available for:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic asthma
- Cystic fibrosis
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Pre/Post lung reduction or lung transplant surgery
The pulmonary wellness team includes:
- Respiratory therapist
- Registered nurse
- Clinical exercise physiologist
- Medical director
A comprehensive assessment by the pulmonary wellness team will provide the basis for an individualized treatment plan that takes into account your medical history, functional capacity, symptoms, and personal goals. The medical director will perform a brief assessment to review your clinical status and answer questions.
Each participant will receive an individualized treatment plan that will include a combination of the following:
- Understanding Chronic Lung Disease
- Your medications: why and how?
- Oxygen therapy: what you need to know
- Breathing retraining
- Energy conservation techniques
- Cough and infection
- Travel guidelines
- Practical stress-reduction techniques
- Exercise principles and Lung Disease
- Chronic Lung Disease and your emotions
- Nutrition and Lung Disease
Exercise skills and training
- Monitored (heart rate and oxygen saturation) exercise training
- Personal exercise program including training intensity, time, type, and frequency
- Cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility exercise instruction
- Upper extremity strengthening exercise
- Guidelines and conditioning for a home exercise plan
- Training in inhaler techniques, breathing retraining, and bronchial hygiene
These pulmonary wellness services are also available based on your needs and doctor’s order:
- High Altitude Simulation Test - Assessing oxygen needs when flying or traveling at high altitude
- Portable oxygen for members of Montage Wellness Center
- Kick the Nic — smoking cessation
- Pulmonary devices with instruction: flutter valve, aerosol spacer, peak flow meter
Referral and insurance
A doctor’s referral is required to participate in the program. We can assist you in obtaining this.
Many health insurance policies cover these services. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.